Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Oprah moment

I used to be a HUGE Oprah fan. She was like my BFF for years and she didn't even know it. I would never miss a show. I would plan the kids' naps around her show. I loved her book club and angel network and of course Oprahs favorite things. If Oprah said to jump I was the first one yelling..."How high Oprah??"  Over the past few years I haven't watched her as much, in fact, I can't tell you the last time I watched her show.  Maybe I'm too busy, maybe just not interested in what she's got on...I don't know. Anyway, a few years ago I got to go see Oprah. And  I didn't just get to go sit in the audience either...I was front row, had a microphone on and even got to go "backstage". I swear she looked at my shoes and smiled. Let me tell you, this was right up there with giving birth to my kids.

I still love Oprah, I just think it's time to call it quits. She's had a great run. She's done terrific things...it's just time, I think. I never understood why shows like Seinfeld, Cheers, Friends, all went off the air when they did. Now I do. It's good to go out on top.

Anyway, thanks Missy and Jill for making it happen! It is a time I will never forget! And thanks Lara and Missy for putting my butt on the plane and holding my hand the whole way there while I was hysterical thinking the plane was going to crash and  burn.....Oprah was worth it.

6 comments:

  1. I'm a "used-to-be" Oprah fan. Like you, I think she overstayed a little. But when Brad was in law school in Chicago, I went to two tapings, back in the day when audience members asked questions. And I was on TV! What a thrilling moment! Thanks for another memory flash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch Oprah anymore either. Unless she is doing a very good interview. Even though her show doesn't get me excited anymore, I will never forget what it once meant to me. I loved her and the show for so long, and I will always be grateful for my afternoons with her. Yep, it is time for her to move on, and thankfully, she knows this too! By the way, I saw her when she came to Denver during her Live your Best Life tour. Was not anything like her show and I was disappointed, but it was still cool to see her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I would have had a chance to go...now it's too late I think. I used to watch her too...still do sometimes, when it's something good, not icky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you. Never missed her. Then TIVO'd her; but the last two years...ick. However, I SO wanted to see her. My sons grew up hearing me exclaim: "One day I'll see Oprah." Alas, not to be. Like Em, have great memories....
    And VERY happy you got to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about Oprah...but so glad you got a chance to go when you did! I don't watch her anymore either, but I really dont watch anything during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so much fun!!! Great memories with great friends. xoxo, Lara

    PS send me the picture:)

    ReplyDelete