Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In My Opinion

Steve just returned from a LONG week away on business. Amsterdam, Romania, Turkey...I don't know how he does it. I'd be a wreck on all those planes...although they put him up in first class all the time so maybe it's not all that bad. No, I'd still be a wreck. I HATE flying...the whole time I'm up there I'm thinking about dying. And what will happen to my kids. It's horrible. Don't ever fly with me. Anyway, we're so happy he's home.

So the other day while up shopping with my good friend Kerry...(you met  her yesterday)...the girls wanted to go in to Claire's boutique.  Hannah bought a chair for her cellphone. Yes, you heard me right. Apparently her cellphone is tired and needs to rest. I am not too psyched that she has a cellphone in the first place...Santa brought it for Christmas. Don't look at me.

So, we're in Claire's and I notice a baby (about Griffy's age, maybe a few months younger..6 months or so). She's sitting on her dad's lap and just as I look at her she is getting her little tiny baby ears pierced. It was everything I could do to not run over there and scream at the parents. The baby was crying so hard and I just lost it inside. Why would they intentionally hurt this little baby just to make her look cute? (Personally, I don't think it looks cute)...Anyway, I had to leave because I was so upset that I thought I might really say something.

The whole way home in the car I couldn't stop thinking about this little baby and how hurt her little ears must be feeling. That night, while nursing Griffy to bed...still thinking about this baby. Not understanding why parents pierce little babies ears. I know it's a cultural thing with some people...still..it hurts them, so why do it? And then I thought of something. I thought that I did the same thing. I had all 3 of my boys circumsised. I didn't have it done for a religious reason.   We just did it. And isn't that kind of the same thing as the parents piercing the little girls ears? I don't know...maybe if I was holding my baby while he was being circumcised I wouldn't have let them do it.


5 comments:

  1. Such insight....just think if we HAD held our boys? Oh, such pain. I could not have stood it! (I don't care for little babies pierced ears either!!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your opinions, Pam! To me, circumcision
    is more for health and hygiene reasons. There's no argument as to why someone wants to pierce a baby's ears! Many of Andrew's hockey team boys have had THEIR ear pierced...some as young as 8 and 10, and they look totally ridiculous. This year, one coach told a kid to take out his earring..."I don't coach kids with earrings" he said. LOVE that! What are parents thinking? When did babies become little dress up toys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Pam...I am not going to pierce Lucy's ears until she is much older and can care for them herself and WANTS them pierced. I just look at her sweet innocent face and earrings would make it seem like she is growing up too fast..I love the innocence of her. ..and all my boys are circumcised and I am glad I didn't have to hold them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is interesting to me.
    Micah is my third son, and when he was born, the doctors had to wait a little while before they could circumcise him--eleven days, to be exact. We went to the doctor's office late in the afternoon, and by the time they could see him, we were the only ones left. Dr. Richardson sent me out of the room and down the hall, but I could still hear my baby's bloodcurdling screams from there. I'll never forget it. But Hyrum was still circumcised. And I really don't know why. Just because?
    And my girls? Well, Heidi and Lily got their ears pierced on the same day (yes, they're 9 years apart). Lily was 3 1/2 and she convinced 13-year-old Heidi to take the plunge. Lily didn't flinch, but Heidi was a basket case! We'll be waiting a while with Miss Evie. Don't want her to grow up too fast or have owies. I can barely face her getting shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, how adorable is that! So so sweet, your banner! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete